Popular Posts

Wednesday 19 December 2012

You'd better watch out!

At the top of the moor
there she was, in the road,
a frail little lady
hunched in the rain,
my kinda gal, 
half in my headlights,
half in the mist, 
thumbing a lift --
though it wasn't quite light.
I pulled up at once
and walked round the car, 
smiled as I asked her
where she was bound.
She smiled back at me. Ah,
that worries us all,
but for now, off the moor
would do very well!

Declining my help, she clambered aboard.
It was then that I saw her,
but not as I'd thought:
a Sister of Heaven, a strict
order of nun -- a product well liked
and respected round here.
Our own local brand.

She took ages to settle,
arranging her skirts.
I tried not to notice,
but thought it quite odd.
Then at last we were off,
driving into the sun,
low in the morning,
us breasting the hills.

We chatted a bit,
but I felt myself gagged
'till a juggernaut's lights
exposed a bit more
of my passenger's face --
a strip by the ear 
that the razor had missed.

I pulled up again,
this time with a skid,
and ordered him out,
saw him stumble a bit
as my foot went down hard.

Later that night, when
checking the car for the next day's run, 
the de-icer had rolled,
protruding an inch from 
under the seat on the passenger side.
Retrieving it, saw
two pieces of wood, hard wood and polished,
like handles of sorts -- which they were:
a diminutive axe
and a knife -- far too long.



Image as prompt supplied by Tess Kincaid at The Mag

21 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A truly nasty urban myth captured with skill and elan. I feel sure that all of us have heard versions of this tale (in the one most familiar to me it was the hairs on the back of his hand that raised the alarm). Familiar, and still very, very creepy indeed.

Dave King said...

The Elephant's Child Yes, you're right, it is an old tale retold. The first time I heard it it was told to me as a true story - supposed to have occurred somewhere on the South Downs! I've heard other versions since, and often played with the thought of versifying it.

Daydreamertoo said...

Wow.... scary indeed. I would never pick up a stranger. Well, I have done it here because here is a pretty safe place and you often see people who need a ride because there is no public transport apart from in the main town but, picking up a stranger there, especially in this day and age...not a chance...LOL
Mind you,I'd feel very guilty if I ignored a nun though, don't know if I could.
Creepy tale well told

Brian Miller said...

oy that is a close shave there, well not for the nun guy, which is a bit scary and might keep a few from picking up the hitch hiker...i have picked up a few in my day...

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I am not familiar with The Elephant's Child tale but now I want to check it out!!

JANU said...

Must have been creepy. Nice.

Leovi said...

Amazing poem that photo has created a world of its own and visible.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Great poem. I like the picture a lot.

Helen said...

OMG! Many chills produced by this one!

Happy Holidays, Dave.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Bloody hell Dave!

Wonderful write and I certainly did not expect its ending!

Anna :o]

Tommaso Gervasutti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Surprising, sinister, sharp and splendid episode.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent items from you, man. I've take into account your stuff previous to and you're simply extremely great.

I actually like what you have received right here, certainly like what you're saying and the way through which you are saying it. You're making
it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it smart.

I can not wait to learn much more from you.
This is actually a great website.
Also see my site :: losing weight

Unspoken said...

Eeek! That is a creepy story, which I like.

Mary said...

You had me fooled for a while, Dave. Truly glad that this REALLY is an urban myth. It kept me on the edge of my seat.

Berowne said...

Quite a dramatic story, enthralling...

Dave King said...

Sincere thanks to all.
What else can I say?
It was something of an experiment - and this is also the season for chills.
Your every comment was read and appreciated.

The Bug said...

Ooh I love it! I guess in this day & age you do have to beware of nuns too!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://louboutinmart.co.uk]christian louboutin[/url] Add a fiddle and copious amounts of alcohol. [url=http://dkgoose.com]canada goose[/url] Rfrxttseh [url=http://www.louboutinoutletuks.co.uk]christian louboutin outlet uk[/url]
kwrmvy 082464 [url=http://www.chilliwackbombersoutlet.com]canada goose jackor[/url] 346549 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]beats by dre christmas[/url]

Unseen India Tours said...

Awesome poem ,I realy love it !

Unseen India

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bestlouboutinshop.co.uk]christian louboutin uk[/url] And year business insurance quote a only online game movie rental. [url=http://dkgoose.com]Canada Goose Parka[/url] Irceofdum [url=http://csrhelix.com]canada goose jakke[/url]
vkjrzl 304370 566957 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]beats by dr dre[/url]